1999 Monte Carlo SES light

1999 Monte Carlo 3.1 130,000 miles on car.

Service engine soon light came on around 3 months ago. I changed spark plugs with no change. Knowing that it was going to throw an ERG valve code I took it into the car place and sure enough, EGR was reported. Left the car at the shop over my vacation week. They replaced the EGR valve.Picked it up on the way home. Light came back on before I got the car home. Drove it for 4 days and nothing has changed. As a matter of fact the light came on at start the second time i started it rather than one to two minute into the drive.

This afternoon I took it back in to be scanned. THIS TIME I leaned over his sholder to block out the sun;) I saw a 401 code and he said it was inceficient flow. "may be the egr tunnel is clogged in the manafold" or "maybe it's the cat plugged up". Or "maybe it's the computer" ching ching, ching ching......

I plan to take the EGR off tonight and look around. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Air filter has been knocked off clean and never replaced. Have new one on the counter for tonight. @ 80,000 miles I was lucky enough to have the $400.00 intake gaskets go. They were the ones that did the job. Think any sealent has leaked? That job was done @80k and the SES light came on around 120k.

Up against an inspection deadline or will be subject to a fine. It won't pass with the SES light on.

Thanks for any help.

cw

Reply to
Craig Watts