How do I change the Oil on my 1999 Monte Carlo?

I need to know where the oil plug is on hte Chevy Monte Carlo, 3.1L V6, 1999. I have an engine schematic that shows it's on the bottom corner of the engine but I can't make out whether it's towards hte back of the engine or in the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Monte

If you've never done anything like this before, have somebody show you how it's done first. After that, THEN you can go solo.

Reply to
Kruse

If you don't know where the drain plug is, do yourself a favor and don't start working on your/others cars.

Reply to
twisted

I agree with Kruse...If you dont know how to do it, have somebody help you the first time.. It is commendable that you want to learn.

Reply to
hls

Monte wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o9g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

Your post suggests that you don't have the car raised off the ground, which would make it easier to find the plug if you're not sure where it is.

It also suggests you've never done an oil change before, and probably have also never jacked up a car.

It's easier than you might think to wreck that $3,000 engine if you don't know what you're doing. And you could even kill yourself.

You can buy a Haynes or Chilton repair manual at any auto parts place. This will describe, in manner meant for beginners, how to change your oil.

You may be able to get more information specific to your car at Chevrolet.com's Owner Center:

I also suggest you read some of the results in this Google search: Google really is your friend when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@o9g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

I've changed the oil a thousand times on my Chevrolet Cavalier. Just not on my Monte Carlo. I know where the Oil Filter is I was just unsure as to the oil plug. And you're right. I didn't have the car jacked up so I didn't have a complete view of the underside. I wanted to confirm before hand.

Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll go check that out.

Reply to
Monte

these folks may know

jake

LMAO For christ sakes. Jack it up, it's on the bottom of the pan!

Reply to
twisted

LMAO For christ sakes. Jack it up, it's on the bottom of the pan!

********** That would have seemed obvious in past years, but with some cars having no drain plugs for the trannies, and possibly not even for the crankcase (Mercedes, no?) I would have hesitated to venture an opinion on a 99 Monte since I have never worked on one.
Reply to
hls

Paalease. Did you read the original post?!?!

" I have an engine schematic that shows it's on the bottom corner of the engine"

WTF!

Reply to
twisted

Paalease. Did you read the original post?!?!

" I have an engine schematic that shows it's on the bottom corner of the engine"

WTF!

********** Of course I read the original post. Just because he has some sort of engine "schematic" means nothing. I would have thought he would have looked under the damn car before he cried "wolf!".
Reply to
hls

If you've done the Cavalier a thousand times, you should know that the oil plug on your Monte will be at about the lowest part of the oil pan, just like on your Cavalier. I've yet to see oil run uphill. Lemme guess. You've got your Fram filter ready to go, correct?

Reply to
Kruse