2002 GP coolant leak--- Help

Last week I changed the bypass hose on my Girlfriends 3100 engine.

There was definitely a hole in that hose, but there is a leak just underneath the lower part of that hose.

There is a "rail" that runs horizontally across the engine and connects to the bypass hose via a connection that also makes a turn and goes into the engine block. The leak is at the juncture of the vertical part of the rail and the engine block.

What is this rail and is there a fix for this part of the coolant path? A new gasket perhaps?

As the weather heats up, the coolant is being lost pretty fast.

Thanks for any input.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Brown

My Montana has a 3.4L engine but had similar leak at that connection. I took the connection off, wire brushed it and ran a bead of solder around the flange seam. Fixed the leak. With that said, it looked like a real job to get the horizontal tube removed. About mid-engine I cut the tube so it was easier to get off. Reassembled by splicing back with 1/2" ID heater hose. That was over a year ago and no reoccurring leak. I considered JB Weld but decided on the solder method. BTW the tube is part of the heater circuit.

Reply to
DonW