Sportage Bypass hose/pipe?

Hi All, I have a 1998 Sportage, 4WD manual trans, 2L, 4 cylnder.

On the engine there is what I believe is the bypass hose for the cooling system. There is a short rubber hose that comes off the water pump, makes a 90 degree turn and couples to an aluminum tube that runs towards the firewall, wraps around the engine just below the head, around the back of the engine and back up to the front where it attaches to the (I think) thermostat housing on the opposite side. This tube has begun to sort of ooze coolant, a few inches back from the thermostat housing. I am just a bit concerned that it will, given enough time, turn into a major leak.

From the look of it, you can't just remove this aluminum tube as it is below and narrower than the head. It does not look like you can slide it to the rear far enough to get it off with out hitting the firewall.

Am I missing something? how do you replace this, short of pulling the head? Is there any reason I could not re-route this so that it does not wrap around the engine? Is there some trick and/or special kit to repair this tube?

Please help!

I much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, AL

Reply to
Al A.

"" wrote: > Hi All, > I have a 1998 Sportage, 4WD manual trans, 2L, 4 cylnder. > > On the engine there is what I believe is the bypass hose for > the > cooling system. There is a short rubber hose that comes off > the water > pump, makes a 90 degree turn and couples to an aluminum tube > that runs > towards the firewall, wraps around the engine just below the > head, > around the back of the engine and back up to the front where > it > attaches to the (I think) thermostat housing on the opposite > side. > This tube has begun to sort of ooze coolant, a few inches back > from > the thermostat housing. I am just a bit concerned that it > will, given > enough time, turn into a major leak. > > From the look of it, you can't just remove this aluminum tube > as it > is below and narrower than the head. It does not look like you > can > slide it to the rear far enough to get it off with out hitting > the > firewall. > > Am I missing something? how do you replace this, short of > pulling the > head? Is there any reason I could not re-route this so that it > does > not wrap around the engine? Is there some trick and/or special > kit to > repair this tube? > > Please help! > > I much appreciate any suggestions. > Thanks, > AL

Good morning,

The pie that you are inquiring on (the BYPass Pipe) that goes around the engine can not be re-routed. This is were it has to be.

We see the most that the oring leaks. There is a water pipe housing in the front of the engine were the pipe hooks up too. It is best if you replace the Gasket (0K01A15165) and the Oring (KKY0115287).

You do not have to remove the Head, but this is a very difficult Pipe (0K01315290G) to replace.

If you have a fax machine I can fax you a picture.

Reply to
KIAPartscom