90 Grand Prix - Change Column to Console Shift

Wondering if anybody out there has any knowledge about changing a 1990 Grand Prix from column to console shift. Mainly considering this because want to change from 60/40 seat to buckets and add console. Thanks.

Kamevil

Reply to
Kamevil

You've got a lot to consider here. As it is a lot of work to do. I'm sure others might of tackled quite a project. I know a few advised against it a year ago when somebody posted the same question.

Things you need to check out.

  1. Are the seat anchor studs spacing the same on a car with a bench seat vs. a car with bucket seats?

Are you replacing a manual bench with power buckets? You'll need power seat wiring harnesses too, The carpet has to be removed, this requires removing all the trim around the carpet and door jambs. Careful with the all that old brittle plastic it breaks very easy.

  1. Seat belt anchor points might also be different. On the drivers side of the bench seat the anchor point for the belt connector is within the seat frame. Is it the same for the bucket? Or is it anchored in the floor? If so, your car won't have the anchor in the floor.

  1. If your looking in salvage yards for parts, can you find a decent set of seats and a complete console in the color you want? I doubt you will find any new console parts through GM. Interior parts are the first parts that are deleted from stock when the car gets old. Your not thinking of adding Cutlass parts are you? They are different than GP parts. At least with a 1990 you don't have air bags equipped seats to deal with.

  2. A bench seat vehicle may not have the console anchor brackets in the floor. You would have to add these, plus the shifter mechanism, get it lined up properly and punch a a big hole in the floor for the cable routing. You might also need to change some exterior brackets for the shifter linkage on the transmission. You'll also need to do some electrical wiring for the console lights / gear shift indicator light.

  1. Are you also going to remove your column shift steering column too? That would be an added cost to switch columns, although I don't think its necessary, you can just remove the shift lever.

  2. What condition is the car in? How many miles? Is the car really worth all this extra work you plan to do to it? If your only going to keep it, say 2 more years it won't add to the value of the vehicle.

  1. You might also consider buying a car already equipped with buckets seats & a console.

I've done some seat swaps in my day, some were easy and direct bolt-ins and other cars were pretty much cut & paste.

Good Luck

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

I am just giving my opinion here, but both of my Grand Prix's ( a 1992 and a

1991) had the 60/40 split seat with the column shifter, and after that I have now had 2 Bonneville's with bucket seats, and I must say I *really* miss my 60/40 seats. Not only could the GP's hold 6 people, but I found the bench seat more comfortable then the buckets. Might just be me, but that's what I thought. I looked into turning my previous '96 Bonneville SE into a 6 seater, by removing the buckets and putting in a 60/40 seat (basically, the complete reverse you are thinking about doing) but you have to think, like Harry Face said, is the car really worth it? And what is your main motivation for doing this? Is it going to be worth all the time and effort? Can you find the parts you are looking for at a scrap yard? Same colors? Can you physically pull everything out of the 'donor' car and put it into your car? You will have to remove a LOT to get this job done.

Not trying to persuade you from doing what you want, just giving my $0.02.

Good luck, which ever you choose to do.

Reply to
80 Knight