Grand Prix Problems

Hi to all and thanks for the response my recent post,

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix and the engine light is on. Although it appears not to hamper performance, I went and bought a OBD II Tester. I now have the codes in question, they are as follows:

  1. P0141, 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 3). Have no idea what 02 stands for, or (Bank 1 Sensor 3).

  1. P0 137, 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 3).

  2. P0742, Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stuck On.

  1. P1404, EGR Valve Stuck Open Or Circuit Position or EGR Closed Pintle Position.

Any idea what components are causing this problem. I am a electronic tech, so I could trouble shoot if given correct info.

Since my last post of today, I now have a new problem. On the way to pickup my girl friend from work, my transmission started to act up. When it changes gears it is rough and hesitant, but once it is in gear OK. I tend to believe that the transmission is basically OK, it is something to do with the change sequence.

As I have noted in par 3, the torque converter seems to be in difficulty, could this cause this problem.

Any info on this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix and the engine light is on. Although it appears not to hamper performance, I went and bought a OBD II Tester. I now have the codes in question, they are as follows:

  1. P0141, 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 3). Have no idea what 02 stands for, or (Bank 1 Sensor 3).
  2. P0 137, 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 3).
  3. P0742, Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stuck On.
  4. P1404, EGR Valve Stuck Open Or Circuit Position or EGR Closed Pintle Position.

Any idea what components are causing this problem. I am a electronic tech, so I could trouble shoot if given correct info.

Since my last post of today, I now have a new problem. On the way to pickup my girl friend from work, my transmission started to act up. When it changes gears it is rough and hesitant, but once it is in gear OK. I tend to believe that the transmission is basically OK, it is something to do with the change sequence.

As I have noted in par 3, the torque converter seems to be in difficulty, could this cause this problem.

Any info on this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Cam

P0137, P0141: 02 sensor is Oxygen sensor. Bank one refers to the bank of the engine with the #1 spark plug. Sensor three reflects the third position in the exhaust starting upstream and moving downstream. Sounds like your oxygen sensor behind the main converter is unplugged or the heater has gone bad. I've also seen a bad splice cause this.

P0742: The generic translation is that the computer thinks the Torque converter clutch solenoid is stuck on. I'd check a GM manual to see what specifically triggers this code. I'm figuring it's a performance issue, but it may be an electrical issue. Once the computer sees this code, the transmission may revert to full line pressure causing harsh shifts or may go into fail-safe (only 2nd or 3rd gear available).

P1404: GM EGR valves are known for sticking from time to time. Before replacing it, first have the car checked to see if there are any PCM programming updates. I seem to recall that some cars set false P1404 codes. If your egr valve were actually stuck open, the car would typically be hard to start.

From the sound of things, it sounds like it may be a good idea to take it to your local dealer to have it checked.

Reply to
hyundaitech