96 Bonneville power steering problem

I know this has come up before, but I can not find the thread.

Or maybe I misread some information

Is there a common poblem with mid 90's bonnies rack and pinion steering not working properly at low RPM?

Is there danger of complete failure at some point?

Is there a DIY fix for this problem, short of replacing the rack and pinion setup? (it seems the previous owner supposedly had this done once already)

Could it be somthing as simple as a need to tighten the serp. belt? Is that possible?

My problem in specific, is a total lack of power assist, when parking, or coasting through a corner. I can feel the steering kick in when I throttle through the turn.

This later sensation makes me a little uneasy, and I think I pulled a muscle trying to park the car, but I can learn to live with it.

Reply to
Missin'Hippie_Bin_Laden

i may be off base but is your idle set to spec?

ds549