95 Bonneville steering radio controls not working

Hi All...hope you can help.

Just acquired 95 Bonneville (one owner/44,000 miles/very well cared for) and here's one of the things that needs fixed:

Some of the radio controls in the steering wheel don't work. For example, I can turn the volume up, but not down. I can click through FM1, FM2 and AM, but not turn power off. (There may be others, but this is what I noticed so far).

Would you all be good enough to make suggestions on what we can check?

Is this a wire connection problem? Something loose in there?

Thanks, spncity

Reply to
spncity

Might be dirty or worn contacts under the buttons. I'm not sure if the buttons come apart.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,400 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Hi.

I just bought a 1994 Firebird with EXACTLY the same problem! I got a quick diagnosis from GM service prior to buying the car, and they informed me there is a part which is placed behind the buttons which would need to be replaced. I assume this is the component which the buttons make contact with? They said it is 2 parts, one for the left side controls and one for the right side. I wonder if we both got a case of the "right side" component (ie. the side which has the power, volume buttons) going bad. The price I got for this part was CAN $283 + labor to install it. This is all assuming the diagnosis was correct.

Let us know how you make out on this, as I will need to get it fixed also. I wish it was just a loose wire.

Reply to
Sid

Sid

We have been playing around with it enough to confirm that the switches or the "buttons under the buttons" work fine (using an ohm meter). So, no, it's not a loose wire. Rather, it's as though the part that is supposed to push on them is not quite pushing down enough. And, it's not hard to see why it can go awry, since it's a poor design and a cheap plastic part (though I never had this problem with my 1992).

Alan Ralston sent us the link to an article (it's in this thread posted at an earlier date) that talks about "building up" the red buttons under the buttons and the part that pushes them (if you can understand what I'm talking about) with JB Weld to make them just a touch taller.

I believe the replacement part they have described to you is the "entire" component (the buttons you see, as well as the buttons behind the buttons, so to speak) along with the wiring harness. And it doesn't seem to me like it would be that tough to install...

spncity

Reply to
spncity

Thanks, I took a look at the article and the fix is nicely documented. Only problem is, I have never worked on the steering wheel component, and I keep getting visions of the airbag accidentally launching and pulverizing me.

Actually, the diagnosis I was given was "assuming the radio buttons don't need to be replaced also." I think the price they quoted me ($283 + labor) is for the part that houses the rubber buttons. Maybe the 2003 version of this part is slightly reengineered to compensate for the lousy design from the early 90s, maybe they are plastic or metal buttons now.

Reply to
Sid

Well, yes, and then you'd have to buy something even more expensive...a new airbag in the steering wheel.

I should be less cavalier about how easy it seems to do it...since I'm not the one doing it...the go-to person in the family is doing it...and even he was being extra special careful around the airbag idea....

What I hate is that even the "feel" of the radio buttons is much worse/more mushy in the 95 than my 92.

spncity

Reply to
spncity