Alternator, Maybe???

I've got a 96 grand prix with the 3.1. Here's a quick low down. May of

2002 I had a new alternator (lifetime warranty from NAPA), June 2002 new battery. Everything was good until September 2003. Alternator went out. I replaced that and not too long after that I was getting an dimming or pulsating of the lights. Not all the time but quite often. I let it go and just recently it was doing it all the time. Some of the dash lights have been coming on too (airbag, ABS, check engine). So tonight I notice that the lights are pulsating anymore and then everything starts to get a little bit dimmer and dimmer and then boom there's my battery light. So I'm assuming I've got another alternator shot. Now is it possible that the voltage regulator was no good on the last one causing the dimming and pulsating? And is it possible that I've just had bad luck with the alternators lately. This will be number 3 in less than 2 years. You guys seem to diagnose this stuff pretty well so I'd figured I try my luck here. Thanks in advance
Reply to
Brian

Those little "compact" alternators have been a curse. There is a kit available that makes them cool better and adds a decent bearing to the mix, supposedly making them last longer than 2 years.

Reply to
clare

Common with alt rebuilds.

Reply to
98 Camaro

Correct. You just got somebody else's crummy alternator. Don't worry about it; alternators are cheap (free for you) and easy to get to. There's nothing wrong with your car. If you had the 3.4, where you had to take the body off the frame to replace the darn thing, then you'd be hurtin'.

Reply to
Joe

Yeah, it has been said for years that the rule of thumb with refurb alts is you need go through 2 or 3 until you get a good one.

Reply to
98 Camaro

Make sure to clean battery cables on both ends. Clean ground connections too.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan