Brake line repair

Folks,

Sprang a gusher on the brake line going to the right rear brake on my '92 Grand Am. Happened at the fitting just behind the fuel tank. Odd place to fail, but for some reason the line was extremely rusty at that location.

Now to the issue at hand. I would like to use a compression fitting to mate the replacement tubing to the original tubing near the left wheelwell where it is in excellent condition and relatively easy to access. What is the thinking these days on using compression fittings instead of flaring?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

The thinking is the same as it always has been. Don't do it. It's not safe.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Same here. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

OK. Borrowed the tooling from AutoZone and did the double flare thing. Access was definitely cramped.

Let me say that if I had had a Swagelok compressi>

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Do NOT use a compression fitting to repair brake lines - PERIOD.

Get the line flared and do the job right.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I cut the rusted portion off, got a new flare nut and a short line, as well as a flare union. Put on the new nut, flared the line, and put it all back together

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce