Heater Blower Moter Problem

Hello,

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Last summer I changed the blower motor heater/AC. As of yesterday it now only works on hi-speed only. I have checked all the fuses they are OK.

Looking for help and a schematic if someone has one.

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

Probably the resistor that drops amps and thereby controls blower speed. They go bad. I don't know where it is on your car though. Somewhere in the airstream for sure.

Reply to
« Paul =?is

Its your resistor, located in the passenger side dash area. You can access it underneath by the glove compartment.

Reply to
Philip

I just replaced my resistor in my 97. Plan on swearing a lot. It is/was a pain to find. If you replaced the blower motor, then you should have the patience to replace this stupid part. Order on-line at gmpartdirect or similar. More than $10 less than $30.

I could not get my resistor out of the original spot it is in. I would have had to tear a lot of the fire wall insulation sound deading stuff in order to get a wrench to the back bolts. So, I just unplugged the two connectors and plugged the new one up and stuffed it where it is secure, but NOT touching anything. It gets VERY hot when you use any speed except HI. I expect mine to burn out again since it is not in the air stream anymore... then I will decide if it is worth tearing into the fire wall deeper.

Good luck.

Reply to
gifer

I have a 1997 Grand Prix that had to have a new ignition switch put in because the blower would only work on high. Best thing was, the part that they put in was defective too, so the nimrods sent my wife down the road in a car with no turn signals and brake lights. She went one block and had to take it back. 2nd try fixed it though.

Reply to
Ken Lee

To all,

Thanks for all the advise. Yes you were right, it was the module. It cost $55.00 Cdn plus one hell of a lot of swearing, to get the old one out and the new one in. Some guy on the NG said he just stuffed his back behind the carpeting, because he could not get the old one out. They sure get hot, he is in for trouble I think.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

Same thing happened on my Montana. The shop used the dreaded words: Dealer Part. They quoted $300 - $500 to fix...

Reply to
Zman53

its the blower resistor, like 30 bux at any auto parts store

Reply to
M.C. Tee