power steering very hard on 89 grand am

Hello,

My 89 Grand Am has leaking power steering fluid for a couple of years. About a month ago, it suddenly became extremely difficult to steer in the morning and at low speeds. Under the hood, it looks like there is fluid everywhere on the passenger side.

I was hoping I could live without power steering, but I'm finding it almost impossible to parallel park on the street.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure I can expect when taking this in for repair? I've done a little research in other newsgroups, and have seen $300-$800 USD - is this about right?

Finally - what is normally the cause of this? A bad pump, or something else? I've read that there was a problem on '80-'88 GM vehicles regarding steering issues, but was this supposedly fixed after '88?

Thanks, Jamie

Reply to
jamie

Seems like total neglect to me....if you have been ignoring it for 2 years

I've read that there was a problem on '80-'88 GM

Reply to
hdd

Depends what it is, if you've been driving without cap on the power steering fluid reservoir and recently hit some bumps, a new cap for less than $20 could solve the problem. If your pump is messed up, rust in the lines, screwed up torsion bar, valve assembly damaged or anything else, it would be far more expensive to fix. Don't know what a mechanic wants for changing a whole power steering system (shitload of work on the rack) bur that will be your maximum prize, and $20 being the minimum. For a start, put more air in your tires, makes it easier. Considering how you maintained your car, I would not invest more than $300 in it, other parts will start breaking down too.

Reply to
Baudolino

From what you are describing, it sounds as though a seal may have gone in the rack. This is commonly called "morning sickness" for the rack. Once it warms up, it seems to be fine. As for the price, you may be looking at

300-500 USD. If the GA has ABS, it may be a little more(depends on how the tech replaces the rack).
Reply to
Ray