Re: 94 Grand AM intermittent engine light

I would just wait to see what codes come up. My experiences with my '95 GA is that the light will go out when you shut the car off. The computer stores the code however, and the light will not come back on until whatever sensor or whatever else has malfunctioned again. For instance, when my TPS went out, the light would come on, and I'd shut the car off. Light was then out, once the TPS glitched again, it came back on.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

. If it was serious wouldn't the light be on

This summer I finally had to take my GA in to the shop and while it was there they fixed the intermittent check engine light I had by replacing a failed o2 sensor and a failed crank position sensor. Actually the car may run a little worse now that it is getting the correct amount of air added. I guess I was running lean when the sensor was out, that may be why I could still get 35-36 mpg with a 10 year old car while it had bad sensors. They also replaced a failed high temp sensor that melted when the car overheated (which is why I took it in). Thank God GM designed the engine to shut itself off when it overheats. It took me 3 hours to get 3 miles back to my apartment (about 200 yards from the garage I took it to) running it for 20 seconds then coasting with the engine off then letting it cool for 20 min, rinse and repeat.

Reply to
john graesser

Just a sensor that sends information that is outside the acceptable range.Could be a faulty sensor but also something like low coolant, rich exhaust or more. The '94 Grand Am has OBD1, easy to check for yourself. Find the OBD plug (most likely somewhere left under the dash). Connect the two terminals on the right top, switch the key to the on position and count flashes (it will first flash 12 three times, than all the codes 3 times).

Now you will have some information that can help solve the problem.

Reply to
Baudolino