Simple Repair Great Results

This simple repair that I did last Sunday is so cool that I wanted to share with these groups. I hope that it helps others.

1995 Grand AM 4Cyl Problems : Excessive torque steer, Excessive Rut steer, wandering on freeway and intermittent shaking feed-back to the steering wheel during braking.

While inspecting the suspension I found that the rubber bushing that attaches the tie rod to the steering rack was worn out allowing a lot of slack. Since the bushing was vulcanized to the tie rod I thought it would be necessary to replace the entire rods the get the alignment re- done. It turns out that they sell bushing kits to replace the rubber and the steel spacer piece that the bolt goes through. It is not necessary to remove the rod from the car.

It took about two hours to do the job. V-6 cars will be more difficult. So far, the car is much more stable on the freeway, no torque steer and no shaking.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

I am lost, where are these rubber bushings?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Under the hood, formed to the tie rods, where the tie rods attach to the steering rack. One bolt goes through the bushing to hold the tie rod to the rack.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Now I got it. I was thinking the Grand Am was the same as the Lumina/Monte Carlo/Grandprix, but it's not. It's the same as the Sunbird/Cavalier.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Yes, it uses the center take off steering rack.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai