Starter motor brush R/R

As a preventative measure, pre-winter, I pulled the starter on my '90 Bonneville and replaced the brushes. As I expected, they were worn almost to the brush holders, and it was just a matter of time before they caused me grief.

(Using the same techniques, I got 16 years out of the starter on my old '72 Olds 88.)

As it was, one of the holders was cracked. I might have pushed it over the brink tightening the little brush screw. In any event, the entire kit from Napa included the brushes, holders, springs, brackets, etc., etc. for less than $3.

The kit had to be special ordered! I don't hear of this being done very often, and I have to wonder why. It took about 75 minutes or so, and it's a rather dirty job, but the alternative was to buy a new starter at some inconvenient time, + probably a tow job, + the R/R job in vicious weather.

Why is it so rare for people to R/R starter brushes?? I was saving about $130 (+ probable towing fees) for less than two hours of work. Who makes that kind of money?!

Reply to
Robert Barr

I R & R the brushes when my Bonneville original starter wouldn't start the car in front of my uncles house down the block. Pulled the car backward with a strap hooked to daddy's pick up. Removed starter, disassembled it, replaced brushes, install starter, Start car - no sound

- no tick tick.

Ended up being the armature binding in the stator windings.

Most people today don't want to be bothered by the work involved in R & R. And as you mentioned some parts have to be special ordered & most people wouldn't want to wait a few extra days for parts to come in. Some parts store don't stock rebuild parts - that way they can make more $$$ selling you a new / rebuilt unit rather than sell you $3.00 in parts.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 29,172 91 Bonneville LE 304,246
Reply to
Harry Face