suspension disassembly question ('95 GA)

I posted a question earlier about squeaking and groaning bushings in my suspension as any of you that answered certainly remember. I sprayed on Prestone silicone spray on EVERY bushing up front I could find and get to. To my surprise the noise became MUCH worse! So I didn't feel like fiddling with it and going on a search for this sound, so today I took it in to have it looked at. They told me all was well, just a sway-bar bushing on the inside was making the noise. They greased it as much as they could manage too. And it's at least 70% better now. I would like to do a more thorough job sometime or just replace it altogether. I have a Haynes manual, which describes how to get at this little bugger. And the A-arm has to be dropped at least partly, if not completely. It fails to mention however, if strut/spring pressure is on it at that point, or if I need to compress the spring. Does anyone know off hand?

TIA,

Tony

(I know I create such long posts about such short questions) :-)

Reply to
Tony V.

What's the book say under "control arm removal"?

I'd have to be looking at it. GW

"T> just a sway-bar bushing on the inside was making the noise. They

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

There should be a point about 1/2 way down on A-arm travel at which the sway bar is not under load either direction. That one bushing is a problem with most Grand Am, including mine. I kind of like the constant squeeking though.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?py=BAats=40texxxas=2Enet?=

Do not remove the control arm from the sway bar!

take the sway bar off of the control arm at the sway bar links (bolt,washers and rubber bumpers) then find the point where the sway bar is mounted on the cradle and I'm guessing this is where the noise is coming from The sway bar mounts on the cradle using U shaped clamps that hold the sway bar from raising off the cradle. Rubber bushings are installed here to allow the sway bar to rotate in the mount .

I personally would do one side at a time so that the mount not removed would assist me in holding the sway bar

Reply to
jones.family