Silly Suspension Question

I have a '95 GT with upgraded struts / shocks / springs lowered 3 inches (too low). I'm looking at a coil-over conversion kit on the front that I can use with the stock K-Member & Stock A-Arms.

Am I crazy to ask that if I use coil-over shocks, I can remove the current upgraded springs from the front suspension and just have the coil-overs do all the work?

Reply to
Shane

You will not find a coil-over with a high enough spring rate. These are intended to be used primarly as helper springs. Also look at the mounting of a shock compared to the mounting for your springs. Go-cart type mounting vs a heavy duty car mounting.

Reply to
RJ

Thanks for the info RJ. I though it was too good to be true

Reply to
No1uknow

A high quality coil-over setup will indeed do all the work. It'll certainly ride a whole lot better than those 3" drop springs, too! :)

If you go this route you are advised to invest in good strut tower bracing as well as some quality caster/camber plates. If you rely on the stock upper strut mount, to handle the stresses of a coil-over, you'll be asking for trouble down the road.

I've got 40k trouble free miles on a Griggs setup, one of the most satisfying mods I've done to the Cobra. The difference in ride quality (over some of the crappiest roads in Boston) is amazing.

Reply to
John C.

Well that certainly opens my eyes up. Thanks John.

I have the stock strut tower brace from the GT and I've been looking to invest in some caster / camber plates so that works out real well.

Thanks again, Shane

Reply to
No1uknow