porsche 928 fuel pump ??? ARGH!!!!

My 1983 porsche 928 (auto trans) will not start. Having replaced the relay and triple checked the fuse, I am nearly certain that I have narrowed the problem to a fuel pump.

When I turn the key to start position, I get voltage to the plug which attaches to the cylinder which goes in the tank. Is that the pump or just the level sender (with a fuel return line and three terminals one of which is gorund)? Or maybe it is an auxilliary pump? If so, where is the primary? Are there two pumps? If one went would it cause the other to go?

I have tried to solve this puzzle by talking to parts shops new and used, and by scouring the web for part catalogs, but I keep coming up with contradictory information. I know someone has the correct answer to this right at their finger tips. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it has me stumped. Eternally grateful for any insights. Have a wonderful day, and thanks in advance.

-Conrad Slimmer snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
co9twelve

The connections on the top of the tank, inside the hatch, are for the tack level. The fuel pump is hiding under a cover on the rear of the tank. This is below the right-rear back-up light. Two small bolts and you're in.

The pump only get activated for a second or so when the ignition is turned on. It doesn't run again until the brain sense the engine has started.

Could be the fuse. Could be the relay. The relay is just like the horn so swap the and test the horn.

Could be other things as well. Use a timing light to check for spark.

HTH!

co9twelve wrote:

Reply to
someone