Rover 600....Side lights come on when brake pedal is pressed!

I have recently bought a Rover 600 Diesel.......all appeard ok until I drove it at night and noticed that when I pressed the brake pedal the side lights came on.

On further investigation, I found that the tail lights were coming on too, but that was not obvious as its a double fillament bulb.

Then I swiched on the sidelights........and guess what......the brake lights come on too.........so the brake circiut is energising the light circiut and the light circuit is energising the brake light circuit.

An odd problem.......I can see no obvious wiring bodges, and there's no evidence of any DIY having ever been done on the lighting circuit (spot lights etc)

Any ideas?

As a side line, what comeback do I have with the used car dealer? Is it a case of sold as seen, or as the car is not fit for use on a public highway would the trades description act apply.....ie not fit for the purporse. (the car would never pass an MOT with the lights in this state)

Reply to
Paul

Almost certainly one of your rear lighting clusters is not earthed to the chassis properly. Check the cluster, the plug that connects it is fully engaged ( if there is one ! ) The common side of the lamps is connected to the socket Ok, and somewhere nearby will be an earthing point, a bolt through the body, where the wiring is earthed !

Reply to
Andy Pandy