1985 900 Turbo 8v - what to keep an eye on?

For classic 900 aficianados:

I'm counting down the days until Friday when I pick up a sha-weet silver

1985 900 T8 hatchback with 220K miles on it. It'll be my first turbo after two 1984 900 S models. The turbo has been cared for by a Saab mechanic all its life, and had a single owner since 1986, so it's in pretty good shape. I paid $500 for it.

I'm not very familiar with turbos, so I have a few questions. What should I do differently than with the NA cars? I know there are issues with driving while the engine is cold, possibly the type of motor oil, etc. I also am aware that the 1985 900s had some issues with the wiring harness melting, but this one looks OK and everything electrical works fine. The valve cover gasket seems to be seeping a little, but I had that problem with the other cars as well, so I'm not too concerned.

Anyway, I plan to another 100K miles on this baby, so any suggestions/tips/cautionary words are much appreciated. I'm looking forward to the 30 - 80 mph passing power after having to always make sure I have plenty of open road ahead of me with the NA cars!

Thanks,

-jw

--

1984 900 S hatch - 160K miles - deceased 1984 900 S sedan - 210K miles - deceased 1985 900 Turbo 8v hatch - 220K miles - the next chapter!
jw

That's before the turbo was water cooled, so do let it spool down for a bit before turning off the engine. Don't race into the parking structure and turn it off right away, in other words. The turbo will still be spinning, but you lose the oil supply and cooling by stopping the engine. Let it sit for maybe 30 seconds, gather your stuff, _then_ turn the car off.

Other than that, no worries. How's the body?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net, jw at snipped-for-privacy@jw.net wrote on 08/11/2005 16:22:

Very nice indeed. Great price! Cherish it, because the "flat nose" shape is getting more and more rare ... Although not necessarily more valuable :(

The valve covers do ... If you're worried, whip it off, clean in petrol and pop it back on with a new gasket. Total cost will be very small.

As Dave says, don't boot it when it's cold and don't switch off straight away. Give it a good 30 seconds. You'll find your own routine, but most people go with shutting the windows, sunroof, turning off the stereo, etc ... Then switching off.

Keep on top of the "grounds", especially the one on the front cross-member under the radiator.

Ensure that the doors are able to drain. They're quite adept at collecting water and filling your shoes with rust each time you get in and out of the car.

With the engine running, grab a can of carb cleaner and spray round all the vacuum plugs. Any change in engine pitch and you should replace the grommet. Replace all the vacuum hosing at your earliest opportunity with silicon (3mm or 4mm bore). Looks good, works great!

Ensure the ignition is good. New sparks leads are always nice ... Go with Bougicord if you can afford, otherwise Bosch. New rotor arm and dizzy cap should be done as a matter of course every other oil change (which should be

5,000 miles at the latest with old turbos). With regard to plugs ... ONLY USE NGK ... BP6ES would be okay for yours, but I run BCP7EV on my T8. They're about 4 times as expensive, but will last a good four times as long and give better performance.

Most of all, enjoy it. You might find performance to be a little variable, depending on the weather but the coming cold weather is great for high boosting mischief. Good luck - hope it's a good 'un. Let us know what you think after you've owned it for a few days ... Betcha can't wipe the grin off your face :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

That would be *16 valve*!

Sorry for any confusion.

-jw

--

1984 900 S hatchback - 160K miles - deceased 1984 900 S sedan - 210K miles - deceased 1985 900 Turbo - 220K miles - the next chapter!
jw

I've always preferred the "flat nose" to the aerodynamic 1987 - 1993 look. It's a cleaner, more "serious" looking front end when viewed straight from the front.

As for the price, my Saab mechanic has low-cost c900s coming through his shop all the time. Mostly his own customers, so I know the cars have been cared for. I paid $850 for my first 900 S, and $200 for the second one. Based on my experience, these cars are the best deal on the road.

Thanks for all this...

Hey, I used to grin when I drove the 8v cars! I'll check back in to let you know how this baby is doing.

-jw

--

1984 900 S hatchback - 160K miles - deceased 1984 900 S sedan - 210K miles - deceased 1985 900 Turbo - 220K miles - the next chapter!
jw

Will do, thanks.

btw, as I replied to Paul, it's a T16. My mistake. The 8v turbos weren't available in the States after 1984. I looked at the the car and took it for a spin in the fading light and didn't see the 16V badges on hatch and engine valve cover. I know that sounds lame, but it performed great and its reliability and lifelong care was vouched for by my two Saab mechanic/enthusists. I'll be giving it a closer inspection after I pick it up, of course.

The body is actually pretty good, except for a little rot around the right rear fender, and a little under the hatch-mounted spoiler. The paint is also decent. The only big problems are that it needs parking brake work (I had the cables done on my '84, and I know it's a chore), and the hood (bonnet) bracket is broken. The hood opens, but you have to be careful.

-jw

--

1984 900 S hatchback - 160K miles - deceased 1984 900 S sedan - 210K miles - deceased 1985 900 Turbo - 220K miles - the next chapter!
jw

Even better!

I'd recommend running synthetic oil, use a quality filter, and change it regularly, every 5K should be fine assuming it's not leaking. Also I'd recommend replacing the hose to the wastegate actuator, not sure about the Saab specifics but usually if it rots out you get unlimited boost and that can easily go boom.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yeah, I thought the 16V was not available until 1986. The 8-valve turbo engine was used up until 1984, at least here in the States.

Thanks for the info! I've actually heard conflicting information about the synthetic oil. I'll find out what the previous owner was using. I'll also be examining the engine in more detail after I pick up the car this weekend, and will look at hoses. I don't think the car needs much work. The hood hinge and parking brake cables are the most worrisome.

-jw

--

1984 900 S hatch - 160K miles - deceased 1984 900 S sedan - 210K miles - deceased 1985 900 Turbo hatch - 220K miles - the next chapter!
jw

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net, jw at snipped-for-privacy@jw.net wrote on 08/11/2005 20:22:

Still rare :)

It'll be one of the first T16s - the same advice applies. Essentially, good grounds, good vacuum, good ignition and drainable doors. That'll keep your SAAB happy for the years to come.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Remember, my old one was registered as 1984 on a B(uk year based reg system) plate.

And something that has made me smile is that, the new owner kept his word. He sorned it when the tax ran out, and just recently I spotted on the DVLA road tax site, it is back taxed, which means he has put it back together and it is back on the road.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2