Saab 900 turbo - what battery?

I have a newly aquired 1984 900 turbo, but the battery is dead within a day after charging. I am not convinced that the sealed fitted one is
correct and there is no mention in the manual or Haynes manual about what it should be. (Halfords has a record of the car in its 'battery database' but no information on its... er... battery.) I have read on this site that bigger is better, and should be between 800 and 850 cranking amps. Any Brand names? (UK only). Also, think that there is a drain somewhere, hopefully non-exotic such as the 'glove compartment light' and 'passive control unit' solutions also posted on this site. Have never used google for this sort of thing - but a new day has dawned! Help... also, can beaded seat covers be bought online?
N1CH0L4S wrote:

The bigger the better as long as it fits. IIRC the one you're looking for is 065. Go to any motor factor and ask for a heavy duty battery for an 84 900T.

You need to identify and fix this before you get a new battery.

Are the heated seats not enough?
--
Grunff

On 27 Apr 2004 05:45:56 -0700, nicholas snipped-for-privacy@mac.com (N1CH0L4S) wrote:

Have a look on www.etyres.co.uk who do a mobile tyres & battery service. You should be able to select your car model/type/etc and see what they'd sell you - bet it's a Varta. Details will include the Ah to help you price-compare.
When you charge the battery a voltmeter reading then and the day later would be of use. Mine was 13.5v after a full good house charge, 10.5 a day later which meant a cell dead - there was still enough grunt to start the engine under protest but 7 cells pumping juice through their lame 8th cell is a dicey thing. If you have a drain the voltage will dip dip dip, then the recommendation is an ammeter and run around disconnecting until the drain -> 0.

Pass!
Headers spam-proofed. Use cmylod at bigfoot . com
Colum Mylod wrote:

How very expensive!
--
Grunff

Well, they're big 'n heavy and they bring the thing out to meet you! Anyhow it's a good source for finding out what types are on the market.
Headers spam-proofed. Use cmylod at bigfoot . com
The sealed battery on my first 900T (1981) lasted 11 years; great, never had to pay any attention to it at all.
My second 900T's (1991) came with screw top cells, and gave out after 2 years - mainly because I kept forgetting to check it. Halfords had one that fitted but it wasn't quite powerful enough and anyway (believe it or not!!) the Saab one was cheaper. I believe they said it was in fact made by Varta - if so, maybe you can get one with Varta written on it rather than Saab; might be even less.
forth into alt.autos.saab...

Not according to the E-tyres site that was posted before.
82 inc VAT. Ouch. Time to investigate Costco for a Bosch Silver I think. The one they list for the 900 16v states 0not Turbo. Any reason this would be?
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)
MeatballTurbo wrote:

The battery for the turbo is a lot smaller - the standard one won't fit because of the turbo. Bloody stupid place to put a battery if you ask me. Not exactly difficult to move it to the boot. The heat shortens their life significantly.
--
Grunff

Actually I still have that sealed battery - want it?!

No idea, sorry; you could ask your Saab dealer what it means, I suppose - if ready to accept, "Glad we could help, sir; that'll be 76.89, plus VAT of course")!
sb