"Fill Coolant Level" - ??

How often should this message appear on the SID for a 2000 9-3?

It's only been a couple of thousand miles since it was topped up as part of the service. Do Saabs drink coolant like my old VW Bora drank oil (regularly, but with no adverse effects)?

Reply to
Martin Lowe

"Martin Lowe" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

It shouldn't. No doubt that you have a leak somewhere. Hopefully it's not a blow headgasket.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

How can you say that... and then say "cheers" ;-)

If you just changed the coolant recently, then it might have settled in - although that usually happens in 100 miles, not 1000.

The first thing I would do is tighten all the hose clamps. That includes the radiator as well as the heater & turbo hoses. See if it helps. Look for leaks by examining areas near hose connections that show some corrosion/buildup. Don't miss checking the bottle itself. Look around the edges of the head for any obvious leaks. Check everything again when hot since leaks show up better then.

Check the oil for any white globs - that's a dreaded head gasket leak.

If it continues, have a mechanic pump up the system and test for internal leaks.

Reply to
Retro Bob

Henrik always signs off with "Cheers!". He's just that kind of happy guy, you know?

All sensible suggestions.

Reply to
Grunff

"Grunff" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

;o)

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Timely that you should bring this up. Lately my 2000 9-5 V6 wagon (58,000 miles) has been giving me the same message but, when I physically check the coolant fluid, the level is full!! Could this simply be a bad sensor?

- Rob

Reply to
Rob Malkin

"Rob Malkin" skrev i en meddelelse news:r602d.196747$mD.2225@attbi_s02...