Need advice! Which engine is better Saab 02-03 9-5 Arc Six or Aero 250hp Hot

Trying to choose between Arc 6 cyl. turbo and Aero 250hp Hot.

Which engine is better, I would think that a six would be more durable than a four cylinder?

I'm new to Saab, was there a problem with the Six which caused them to no longer offer in 2004.

How good is the 250hp Hot Engine?

Thanks!

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
Gleer

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Gleer at snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote on 21/12/2003 21:01:

Over the last twenty or so years, Saab have made their reputation building cars around 4 cylinder turbo-charged engines. Many say that is the Saab formula. Saab have tried out V6s, diesels, normally aspirated, etc but there remains a core of 4 cylinder turbo-charged petrol engines.

The 6 cylinder was withdrawn. Most likely for reasons we will never know, but I have heard the official line as being that they were not selling as well as expected.

Many people are very pleased with the 6 cylinder engines they have in their Saabs that go back to the new generation 900 and 9000 models.

It's HOT :)

I've nothing particularly against the V6 Saab and certainly don't have any mechanical confidence to sway you, but something about timing belt catastophes and economy re-badged GM-pure engines seems to be ringing in the back of my head!

I'd go with the Aero.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Gleer wrote: :: Trying to choose between Arc 6 cyl. turbo and Aero 250hp Hot. :: :: Which engine is better, I would think that a six would be more :: durable than a four cylinder?

The better engine is the Saab-ingine ie the 4-cyl. The V6 is an Opel/Vauxhall engine.

:: I'm new to Saab, was there a problem with the Six which caused them :: to no longer offer in 2004.

Yes. higher maintanance-costs is one.

:: How good is the 250hp Hot Engine?

Best engine Saab has ever build.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I test drove both 4 and 6 when I bought my 9-5SE some years ago, and didn't like the feel of the 6. Plenty of grunt but I felt it ploughed into turns - perhaps it was too heavy for the suspension?

I'm very happy with my 4. No actual engine problems in 5 years driving, but I did have a turbo replaced under warranty. Guess that could happen with the 6 too.

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins