REPOST: Vintage SAAB Quiz: What's wrong with this picture?

There are four things wrong with this picture:

... Maybe more?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I can't see anything wrong with the car. It's a 1954 Saab Sonett Super Sport, also known as Saab 94. No, I'm not an expert at all, but found this in Saab Museum

, it looks like theexact same car, not just same model. Notice the Steering wheel side, the Swedes were driving on the left in those days. However, your picture has a sign above the car which suggests that it's a 1966 Sonett II, which is wrong. It may be that the car and the sign are not related.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

it's not a 1966 but a 1956 it's not a Sonnet but a Sonett it's not a II but a I it's not GM but SAAB powered

Here's the same car with Peter Backström, the SAAB museum direcor in it - Sweden 1997;

Same, Denmark 2004;

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

in article d1cjhu$gma$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.zwoll.ov.home.nl, MH at snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.no wrote on 17/03/2005 18:46:

4/4 Martin ... Good work! If anyone knows their vintage SAABs, it's you.
Reply to
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@ssssssssssssizefitter.com, Johannes H Andersen at snipped-for-privacy@ssssssssssssizefitter.com wrote on 17/03/2005 17:45:

Well I never! "Så natt" .. That's an interesting etymology.

Reply to
Paul Halliday

We did drive on the wrong side (left) before 1967, but just to be different from everybody else our cars had the steering wheel on the left side.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

in article snipped-for-privacy@approve.se, Goran Larsson at snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote on 17/03/2005 22:08:

How was the swap over to driving of the RHS of the road done? Was there a specific time on a specific day when people swapped over? What if you were driving on the right/wrong side at that time? How did the road signs get dealt with?

It's something that really interests me. In the UK, you'll know we drive on the left, but if you watch people walking down corridors or climbing stairs then they almost always gravitate to the right.

I've not been abroad very much, but last time we were in Sweden, we were given a ride around Stockholm by an online friend (one of the STCS Stockholm people) in his fast 900 Aero. Out of town (like, around Djürgarden), a lot of the roads didn't have central markings and were quite narrow - I had a few scares when he darted to quite the opposite side of oncoming cars that I would :o

I like to think it was because I was sitting in my normal driver's seat but not driving ... Really, it was because he was giving his Jorgen Erikson 4 speed gearbox a "good thrashing" ... Legal speeds, of course :))))

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

From

;Sweden had left-hand traffic (Vänstertrafik in Swedish) from approximately1736. It continued to do so well into the 20th century despite the fact thatvirtually all the cars on the road in Sweden were actually LHD. Also,Sweden's neighbours, Norway, Finland and Denmark already had cars driving onthe right side, leading to confusion at border crossings. In 1955 areferendum was held on the issue, resulting in an 82.9%-to-15.5% voteagainst a change to driving on the right. Nevertheless, in 1963 the Swedish government passed legislation ordering the switch to right-hand traffic. The changeover took place on a Sunday morning at 5am on 1967-09-03, which was known in Swedish as Dagen H (H-Day), the 'H' being for Högertrafik or right-hand traffic.

Since Swedish cars were LHD, experts had suggested that changing to driving on the right would reduce accidents, because drivers would have a better view of the road ahead. Indeed, fatal car-to-car and car-to-pedestrian accidents dropped sharply as a result.

#5 error - that car is not in my garage where it belongs!

Reply to
Retroed Bob

#6 Error: Bob thinking it belongs in *his* garage ...

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Hey, come on guys, there's 5 of 'em, we all get one. Paul, MH, Bob, Me, and one for the museum I suppose.

Dave "I call dibs on the blue one" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Wow, it's right hand drive, but the gear shift is on the right!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I was only 8 years old at the time, but this is how I remember it.

Yes. There was several hours of non-traffic time for private cars during the night of the left-to-right conversion. Commercial traffic could drive, but had to stop some time before the change -- drive very carefully to the other side -- stop for some time -- go on driving.

You had to stop well before the changeover time.

New (covered) signs were put up for quite some time before the changeover. Changes were also made to highway enter/exit ramps, traffic lights etc. During the night of the changeover the covers were removed from the new signs and the old signs were covered.

Reply to
Goran Larsson