2002 SL very hard shifting 2/3 gears?

Was looking at a used Saturn 2002 with 140K on it for one of my kids and the thing really slammed into 3rd gear (automatic transmission) and less hard into 2nd....

Driving was smooth when not shifting, no slipping could be detected while accelerating....

Any ideas?

Reply to
Leythos

If it slams into all gears, then check out the shift modulation solenoid. If it is only one gear, then check that shift solenoid. The resistance of the solenoids can be measured at the connector on the top of the transmission access cover. If I recall correctly, they should all (there are 5 of them, so there are 10 connections) measure between 4 and 8 ohms. If they all measure correctly (one will usually be way different - open or shorted for instance), then try draining and then replacing the trans fluid and adding some trans additive and following directions on the can/bottle. When done, Make sure that you drain the fluid again and also replace the filter at that time too. Use the correct fluid which I believe should be Dexron III. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I had this happen on my '02 SC2, it was the transmission control module.

Reply to
marx404