2005 Ion, turn signal problem?

I have a 2005 Ion with a sick turn signal. One of the two filaments burned out. Saturn conveniently made the replacement operation tool-free. Replaced the bulb and it still doesn't blink.

Checked the bulb and in-headlamp assembly wiring with an ohmmeter and by hooking it up to a 12 volt supply. That leaves the control circuitry.

I've heard of this happening on 2003's and 2004's. Anybody run into this on a 2005?

And last, the bulb has 2 filaments, one higher wattage than the other. Which way is it supposed to go in? The bulb is symmetrical with no polarity markings.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ion Owner

Check underhood fuse block.

Hopefully you didnt backfeed into the BCM.

Not related.

Polarity does not matter to a light bulb. One filament is for the hazard/parking lights, the other is for the turn signal. If you still have problems check all of your bulbs.

Reply to
BläBlä

Will do, thanks!

I did the checks after taking the assembly into the house. It's dark and cold at night. Have to say, I like how they mount the lamp assembly. There's nothing like no-tool installation.

The phrase polarity wasn't quite right; there aren't + and - terminals on a bulb. However, plug it in one way and the parking light gets the brighter filament. Take it out, rotate 180 and plug back in, the parking light gets the dimmer filament. This seems like an application begging for a key/tab/asymmetric layout.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bookman

The center connection should be the ground, one outer one is for parking lights, the other outer is for the turn indicator. The brighter one is the turn signal of course. Yeah there should of been an asymmetrical tab so it can only be inserted one way if one filament is brighter. Keep in mind you can use your hazard lights to help see if any bulbs are burned out.

Reply to
BläBlä