95 SW1 Transaxle trouble code 23

I have a 95 SW1 that is throwing a transaxle trouble code 23. It only does that some time and I can tell when it is about to happen as it will start holding 2nd longer than normal. What can I do for this? Is there a sensor that I can change out?

Reply to
Dlamphere

I Have had both 22 and 23. 22= No second gear 23= no third gear.

Now this doesn't mean you have no second or third. What it means is there is a problem shifting or a problem with the transmission wiring harness. Unfortunatly these tranny's are so small and complicated most tranny shops don't even want to touch them. The dealer is probabally the only one place you can go to find out exactly what is wrong cuz they do several pressure test. They charge $40 to start and if its simple its found Otherwise you could pay as much as like $250 just to find out whats wrong. See the code itself is not sufficient because of the history of problems with these Trannys. Problems like

  • Valve Body Leaks or don;t work*They made a new deisgn valve body that don't leak but you gotta change the transfer case to get the second generation. Otherwise its basically an ongoing nightmare of replace the valvebody until it leaks or goes out again . *I went to the library and have the actual Tech Service BUlliten on this one.

*Wiring harness problems. The tranny has a wiring harness that can have a break in the wires as the tempuratre rising or the wires wiggle. Connection problems between the connector and tranny are also common. I have heard that the seal can even leak between the connectors *(aka where the wiring harness connector meets the transmission receptacle plug) and the fluid itself can cause a short between terminals this way.

*Shaft nut or bushing. I have been told by a tranny shop that if the bushing on the shaft gets worn it will cause irratic shifting and problems and all hell can break loose.

  • Those are just the few I found in the past month

Truth be told I went to the library and looked up the Tsb for shfiting delays irratic shifting and I found that they have a 3 page flowchart to follow. Basically Shady tree mechanics such as ourselve are S.O.L when it comes to tackling tranny problems and it really sucks.

I have another post I need help with about a trans connector. Since you have a 1995 s series you might be able to check it for me if you have an ohm meter. It would be much helpfull.

Reply to
jonnymcfly