wheel nut threads

When I switched-over to my winter tires, a few weeks ago, I had almost every lug nut thread off "stiff" ... not exactly stripped threads - but not finger-loose (like I'm used-to) Someone at work said the threads can be "stretched" from over-tightening ... others are saying never use any lube on them.. I have always used a small amount (just a few drops) of oil on the studs, any time I have a wheel off. I realize that I probably should be using a torque wrench for tightening ... just never had a problem in the past (30 + years of driving) Any ideas or suggestions ? Torque specs ? ( just normal steel rims ) 2002 SL1 100,000 km. I've had the car for just over a year. Thanks ; John T.

Reply to
hubops

IIRC spec is 95 ft-lbs. Use a torque wrench until you get a feel and you can come quite close. I always use anti-seize compound and it works OK. Anytime the threads have rust or other crud I clean with a wire brush.

Reply to
C.H.U.D

Use a torque wrench especially on aluminum wheels. They are particularly sensitive to damage from over-tightening. I use some grease on the threads but not on the flared portion of the nut. This keeps the nut from binding onto the stud but uses the friction in the flared area between the nut and the wheel to hold things in place. I don't know when I last saw good 4-arm lug wrenches for sale. I had one I bought in Sears about 30 years ago. They had two types, welded (so-so) and forged (very strong). I got the forged one which I damaged last year trying to remove the lugs on a neighbor's lexus. Figured the heck with it and got a

1/2" drive 2.5' breaker bar with a set of deep sockets. Hasn't failed me to get of a stuck lug yet. I keep it in the spare tire well. Oppie
Reply to
Oppie

Torque value ? For regular steel rims. John T.

Reply to
hubops

100 ftlbs
Reply to