TT rear end for my '51 Truck

Hi, I have a '51 2R5 (now equipped with a 289 and 3spd OD) and have been wanting to swap out the origional rear end for a TT unit.

I want to keep the 5 X 5 inch bolt pattern so I can still run my stock

16" rims. I am not too concerned about keeping it 100% Studebaker if there is an easy conversion that I can work up with a rear end from another application. I am currently running a 4:09 ratio and to help a tiny bit with freeway fuel mileage have been considering going with a 3:80 ish ratio.

Has anyone done this before. I can't imagine that I am the only guy to think of this.

Ideas? Parts?

Thanks Allen

Allen Siekman

290 Ridge Road Ben Lomond, CA 95005 831 336-3621 (phone)
Reply to
Allen Siekman

Transtar60

Reply to
Transtar60

Thanks for your help! Is there any specific year I should look for? Will the spring shackle mounts be in the correct orientation and width or will I have to modify? Thanks again, Allen

Reply to
Allen Siekman

I have done it yet but have a 63 Champ Dana 44 with 4.11 and TT I intend to use under my 59 Scotsman which has a Dana 4.27 TT in it now. Its been awhile since I looked at it, but IIRC no major mods are required but wont know for sure till I get around to it.

If you go to the truck page and do a search, you may find someone who has done it before, I recall some discussion years back about this swap.

Allen Siekman wrote:

Reply to
Transtar60

I have a TT truck rear that is also 4.09 that was in my T-Cab prior to putting in the current 3.07.

Since, I have found out that the 3.07 gears are a bit tall for the truck which has an automatic but think that a 3.52 would be ideal. I don't think that you'll see much difference between a 4.09 and "3.80ish" ratio though..

JT

Allen Siekman wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire