1999 Forester Front Wiper Problem

My 1999 Subaru Forester makes a loud slapping noise when the front windshield wipers are on. Also, the wipers don't always park in the same location. Sometimes are they are up a couple inches more than they should be from the bottom of the windshield. I tried replacing the wiper blades but it didn't make a difference. I tried to reposition the wiper arms by unscrewing the nut and then retightening it very tight, but that didn't help. Interestingly, when the wiper blades are parked I can manually move them up and down on the windshield a couple inches. Does anyone know what's causing this and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks in advance. Mike

Reply to
Mike

It sounds like the drive linkage for the wipers is worn out.

Reply to
mulder

Or there is some looseness in the wiper drive.

Reply to
who

Rain-X the windshield and install Bosch Microedge blades. Every year.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Mike