12V outlet dead, fuse is okay

Hi,

my wife's Impreza 2.5TS got a flat tire so I went to help her with the DC/AC converted and a compressor. Was able to fix the flat but at the end of the process the compressor stopped working. Initially I thought it was the converted which got overloaded but it turned out the outlet is not doing its job.

I checked the fuse and it is okay. It also protects remote mirrors which still work.

Any insight what happened?

Reply to
alf

Well, it could be the outlet itself. On my '96 use of the cigarette lighter has ruined the dash outlet; a test light shows voltage present but it won't work a 12volt air compressor. Unfortunately, the power outlets in question are not very robust.

Does the cigarette lighter, if you have one, or any other accessory work in the outlet? You might buy a 12-volt test light at a auto parts store or tool store and test it with that. A test light has a light bulb in a handle with an ice-pick-like probe on one end and a wire with clip connector on the other. You attach the clip to a ground and probe the suspected circuit with the probe. For a ground you might try an unpainted bolt in the door jam, the dome light switch in the door jam, or even the ignition lock on the steering column. Be careful that the probe does not touch the side of the power outlet as you probe the hot terminal inside the outlet.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

There is a thermal fuse built into the outlet itself, to protect it from overheating. That fuse probably blew while you were using the compressor because the outlet got too hot. The fuse can be seen if you remove the outlet from the console, it's on the back side. Not much you can do with it though, a replacement isn't readily available. Yes you can attempt to bypass it with a wire but the outlet will then be unprotected against future overheating. The proper fix is a new outlet.

Reply to
mulder

thx all for hints. will post what went wrong when get some time to check it.

Andy

Reply to
alf