2000 Legacy Outback - Inner CV Boot torn...

Hello all! As the subject line says I have a 2000 Legacy Outback that has the front inner cv boot torn and grease coming from it. I figure that if I can get the whole assembly out I can take it to a rebuild shop that specializes in CV's and get them to rebuild it for a lot less than the dealer wants for his part. It appears as though the transmission end is simple - just remove the roll pin and then hopefully it will slide off of the splined shaft. My concern is getting the shaft out of the wheel side. The bearings are pressed into the piece that holds the brake caliper. Does the shaft just slip through the bearing? Once disconnected from the transmission can it just be pushed back through to allow it to drop down and out? I really don't want to beat anything with a bigger hammer so if anyone has done this and wishes to part with their knowledge I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks and I await any responses.

Reply to
sjmorris2001