2002 OBS A/C mold smell

This summer I have noticed a sour smell coming from my A/C for a few minutes after turning it on. I'm pretty sure it is mold in the A/C and know for sure it is not the smell of antifreeze. I had this problem with other cars I had owned and just lived with it as it is not an overpowering smell.

Does anyone have any quick fixes to rectify this?

Moldman

Reply to
Tommo

I sprayed LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray through the system of a car I used to have and the odor went away. Be sure to get a scent you like. I ran the fan on high and sprayed through the intake grill between the hood and windshield on that car. You will have to know where the intake is and make sure it is set to outside air.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Try to turn off the a/c compressor - but with the fan on, a few minutes before parking the vehicle overnight to help dry the system.

Yeah, I know - we can never remember to do that either.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
bigjim

If you have that mold smell, I would rather attack the cause of the problem rather than disguising it.

Do you have an in cabin filter? If you do, have you replaced it?

Do you keep the recirculation on? If you allow outside air to come in, make sura that the inlet by the cowl is not full of rotting leaves, seeds, etc.

Bleach will rust anything it can. I would not dare to use it.

You can also remove the cover to gain access to the in-cabin filter and inspect the evaporator fins. If they are dirty, remove the blower and clean them, using a toothrush and a water sprayer.

Good luck!

Tommo wrote:

Reply to
AS

I do that religiously and my impreza still have that moldy odor the next time the fan was turned on

While it was under warranty, I complaint to the dealer about this problem. I believe they sprayed something into the system, but it didn't solve the problem.

How come the humidifier I use at home never suffers from this moldy odor problem? In fact, I have never smelled any moldy odor on any air conditioner inside people's home. But many cars's A/C have this problem.

Reply to
peter

messagenews:ktHei.21282$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...

Reply to