2007 L.L. Bean Outback - Premium Fuel Recommended But Not Required?

I was looking at some info on the 2007 L.L. Bean Outback and it said "premium fuel is recommended but not required."

Is that a change for 2007? Any one know what would be the effect of using just regular instead? (I currently have a 2005 L.L. Bean and have only used premium in that.)

And, being a car noob, what would switching back and forth do? I'm assuming that you should stay with one grade or the other . . . ?

TIA.

- Gerry

Reply to
GerryWaz

If you change for one tank accidentally or in an 'urgent' situation, its OK just to go back to your normal usage. Technically, the ECU should be 'cleared' back to base map and allowed to re-learn the sensor readings and adjust to the fuel being used. Switching back and forth would likely lead to wasting money on the Premium due to the knock sensor/ignition timing not being able to adjust to the higher octane until sometime AFTER it was being used at retarded/regular fuel settings(unless the ECU is cleared as mentioned - or after some number of 'drive cycles'). And switching back from premium to regular is OK IF the knock sensor is functioning properly, if not - bad things could happen to the engine I suppose.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I think only the F6 and turbo 4 needed premium except in an emergency.

Reply to
Edward Hayes