'99 Legacy Automatic slips into reverse when put in Park

It started a couple of months ago when I noticed that I was having to push the shifter forward in order to start the car. This didn't happen all the time, just sometimes.

Then I began noticing that when I put it in Park, it would want to back up as in Reverse, but with a little back & forth, it would land in Park properly.

2 weeks ago, I put it in Park and it acted like Reverse and there was nothing short of shutting it off to stop the car. Once off, & since it was acting like it was in gear, it wouldn't start. Opening the hood, I reached to the shift assembly on the passenger side of the transmission and 'moved' it some. This let me start the car.

Now, in order to get out of the Park/Reverse, I remove the plastic around the shifter and insert a pen into the hole which releases the tranny so that I can move the shifter and start the car. This happens about 1 in 10 shutdowns.

I can hear the relay in the dash click every time I use the shifter button. Is this something I can fix myself or does it have to go in the shop? TIA

Reply to
Wilson

Does it seem to be sensitive to parking on a slope at all? I think I've read that worn motor/transmission mounts can cause weird shifting stuff sometimes.

sorry, that's all I got.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for trying, but it's not an incline sensitivity problem. But that hole under the shift faux wood plastic slot cover does work, it's just not a fix.

Reply to
Wilson

I coudl definitely see transmission mpoounts causing the transmission to sag enough that the alignment of the linkage woudl be off by enough to cause this problem. If all gears kind of moved forward by a half a gear, then putting it in reverse woudl mean only moving it back a half a gear, and then neutral woudl be half way between reverse and neutral and so on. Trying to get it all the way into park could cause problems. I had a 71 pontiac that had the indicator off from reality. Minutes after buying it, my father took it to a gas station and parked it backed into a spot and left the engine running with it in 'neutral'. It was really balanced precariously between neutral and drive. It kind of fell into gear and took off straight for a gas pump. Fortunately I was able to run over to it, hop in, and hit the brakes in time, but that was a tense moment. Where does it feel like the gears are? Are they half way between where indicated? If so, so you might be able to adjust that somewhere, or figure out how it got to be that way, which I could definitely see being sagging mounts.

Good luck, Bill

Reply to
weelliott