direct line-in audio input?

I have a '04 Forester with 6-disk CD changer (no cassette desk). I would like to find out (with out pulling out the whole stereo) if there is any way to get a direct line-in audio input. I want to plug my iPod into the stereo via a direct connection.

The dealer has already told me that there is no direct audio input in the stereo (AM/FM/Weatherband/6-disk CD changer) -- does anyone disagree? It would seem that I might have to get a new stereo unit if I want a direct line-in feature -- and I'm not sure if it is worth the price...

It would help if I could sell the factory stereo... is there a market for this?

About my listening preferences: I've used a cassette adapter in my previous vehicle and wasn't satisfied with the audio quality. All my MP3's are encoded at high quality VBR -- so I'll be able to hear imperfections from a bad connection. I'd prefer to stay away from FM splicers or FM transmitters, because I know that FM cannot carry the same fidelity as a direct line-in.

David

Reply to
David J.

It doesn't make sense that there is no audio input - but then why is anybody building car stereo's that can't handle mp3s?

If you decide to upgrade check out this link:

It is a search I ran on Crutchfield . They have a database that can tell what sterios and speakers fit your car. I am planning to upgrade the sterio in my 03 Forester X and I may go with the Aiwa CDC-X30MP CD/MP3 Receiver partly because it has an audio input right on the front so you can plug in mp3 players or whatever.

Probably no market for the old sterio because Subaru has a reputation for poor sound. Of course u can always put it on ebay and see what happens.

BTW, what about your speakers ? Mine have very muddy bass and I plan to replace those too.

-Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

If it's like the changer supplied with my '02 WRX (and I'll bet it is), there is no line input. I suppose it would be possible to reverse engineer the head wiring to add a set of line level inputs, perhaps selected instead of the weather radio, but given that all functions are accessed digitally (as opposed to a mechanical switch; aah for the good ol' days ;-), it would probably prove rather challenging. The FM adaptors do work pretty well; doubt you'd be able to tell any difference in a mobile application unless you a) had spent a fair bit of money and effort on speaker upgrades, and b) were parked with the engine off while listening. Outside of the FM adaptor, if you want .mp3 capability, you will have to get another head unit. I can recommend the Alpine .mp3 capable 6 disk changer (CHA634?), coupled to an appropriate Alpine head. The changer can be found on line, or on ebay for around $200. A head to run it will cost another $200 or more depending on which set of features you can't live without ;-) This setup, loaded with 6 CDs worth of .mp3s, is good for 60 hours or more of music, and still allows you to play an audio CD in the head! I'm sure there are more modest solutions available, but I don't have any experience with them, and so hesitate to offer recommendations. The Alpine setup works well; I have it in two of my cars.

ByeBye! S.

Much agreed, Steve.

Plus, you're listening to mp3's after all...which is a pretty crappy audio format where you're sacrificing audio quality for convenience anyhoo.

So, there's one more reason not to get too pedantic about the purity of line level inputs or the degradation the modulation and demodulation will theoretically cause.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

[snip]

Hello David

I have a setup similar to yours: iPod (3rd generation, all songs in AAC for better quality) and input-less factory radio.

I went the way of the cassette adaptor but found it not good enough (lost a lot in the highs and lows with bakground noise added) and didn't want to go with an FM transmitters. I researched this a bit and could not find an adaptor to convert the factory radio's CD plug into an aux input. I did find a site which gave a listing of the pintouts, but nothing that said how to have the radio play what was coming in without the CD changer's signals or how to convert the iPod's output into something the radio would take.

In the end I put the Blaupunkt radio (with an aux input on the back...) I had in my old car in the Subaru and have not looked back since...

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore