IS300 CD changer jammed

I was changing CDs on my '02 with in-dash CD changer and it started making some pretty ugly noises. When I tried to switch the CD I was playing, that one didn't work either.

Now I have CDs 1, and 2 which won't play and won't eject. When I try, the changer makes "ka-chunk" type noises and gives an error message. Interestinlgy, it thinks slot 4 is empty even though there's a CD in there-- I can even add a second CD in that slot and the second one plays. CDs 3 5 and 6 are OK so far.

bought the car in August 01 so I'm out of warranty. I can only imagine what Lexus will want to fix this. Is there any way I can try to clear the jam manually without having to remove the whole unit? Maybe trying to thread a 22 or 24 gauge bell wire in the slot and trying to snag the cd???

Has anyone had this happen?

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

I've got a 2002 IS300. Hasn't happened to me, but I do remember it being discussed quite a but when the IS first came out. Doing a newsgroup search for "is300 cd changer" or "is300 stuck CD" gets a bunch of hits - this one has a possible fix of pulling out and putting back the radio fuse to reset the radio:

Supposedly happens a lot more often if you have CDRs with printed sticker labels, but that messes up lots of CD changers. Some in the threads claim it happens more with CDRs, but I use CDRs half the time and I don't have any issues (tho I do only burn CDRs made by one of the best mfr, Taiyo Yuden). And some ppl claim that they only used pressed (store-bought) CDs and it still jammed.

Can't hurt to ask the dealer either, they may have a simple fix. Or they might even fix it for free since it was a common issue. Contacting corporate nicely might help as well.

Hope that helps...

Reply to
LY

Now I remember that post. I tried to pull the fuse but the radio didnot reset. However, I didn't go thru the entire procedure. I will try that and see how it works.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

I tried the reset approach. I removed the radio fuse (bottom row, second column) on the left interior kick panel, then turned on the ignotion. Next, turned off the ignition and reset the fuse. That was supposed to reset the radio/cd, but all my preset channels were still there. So how do I reset the radio/cd player besides disconnecting the battery itself.

Reply to
maxikins

Pull the clock fuse and see if the radio presets go away.

Reply to
Ray O

I pulled the radio fuse on the kick panel and the fuse under the hood, which reset the radio. Unfortunately, now the cd changer is completely caput, versus caput for 3 of the 6 slots. I guess I need to take it in and cough up a ton of money.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff