Engine Piston Slap

I have a 2001 Forester that has a rather load clicking sound coming from the engine when cold. The noise diminishes as the engine warms up but never goes away. The noise is more evident when accelerating. The car only has 28K miles. The dealer claims many of the Subaru's have this problem(piston slap) and will not fix it under warranty. Anybody experience this problem? A car with this problem is a little hard to sell when it sounds like the engine is starting to come apart.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Monte Smith

Has the dealer actually investigated the noise and diagnosed it, or have you suggested to them that it is piston slap?

Reason I ask is that there are other problems that fit your description. I have an '02 Legacy which had a very similar problem at 36K miles. Clicking sound that is louder when cold, speed of the clicks increases with engine speed, noise _almost_ disappears when warmed up, sometimes worse than others. If the noise is coming from the front left side of the engine it could be the timing belt tensioner. While not exactly a weak spot, this isn't an uncommon problem.

Doug

Reply to
Douglas Barr

Same issues I experienced with my 2000 Forester with 47,000. I had the Timing Belt Tensioner Replaced and it corrected the problem, and Subaru covered it Under Warrenty.

Reply to
TrAsK

Here's another one, my Mazda pickup was doing the same thing, it was an exhaust manifold leak.

Reply to
Jerry and Bea

I agree, have the tensioner checked. I've changed quite a few. Your dealer should have a bulletin referring to this very issue.

Reply to
JCee