Forester tire pressure

I bought a 2004 Forester with Yokohama Geolander G900 tires. The dealer delivered the car with 40 PSI in the tires, which is a lot higher than Subaru recommends. (Subaru says 29 PSI front and 28 to 36 PSI rear, depending on load.) The tire sidewalls state that these tires can handle pressures of up to 44 PSI.

Is there any advantage to using a higher tire pressure than Subaru recommends, or is my dealer just crazy? Kenneth Almquist

Reply to
Kenneth Almquist

Our Forester (great car!) was delivered with 40# all the way around. Others here have reported the same thing. The dealer said they're supposed to set the right pressure when prepping the car, but that often doesn't happen.

The technical explanation is that they're originally filled with Japanese air, which is susceptible to the attitude of this hemisphere. Positive vibrations get the molecules excited, and the pressure goes up. Or so I'm told... 8^)

Reply to
OORAH!

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
Edward Hayes

snipped-for-privacy@sorry.no.email (Kenneth Almquist) wrote in news:bj0ia6$618$1 @shell.monmouth.com:

My '03 Forester was delivered with the Geolandar G900s pumped to 45 PSI all around. After reading the recommended pressures on the doorjamb and thanking my lucky stars that I hadn't had a blow-out, I dropped the pressure to 32 PSI all around. While the ride improved (became quieter and much less choppy), I noticed that the handling had become mushy and that I lost 1-2 MPG from my gas mileage. Then I happened to examine the tire sidewalls and read that the tires could handle up to 44 PSI. I put the pressure back to 40 PSI all around and while I lost a bit in ride comfort, handling is back where I like it. I'm still waiting to see if my mileage bounces back (it's only been a week since I put the pressure back up). IMO, I'd leave the pressure where the dealer set it.

Snuffy

Reply to
Mike Bender

That explains the tires. Thanks. I've already reduced the pressure to

35 PSI; I guess I'll reduce it a bit more.

I've does all the fluid checks in the engine compartment. Everything is nicely filled to the upper level marker except for the engine oil, which is 9/16 inch *above* the full mark. I don't think this isn't enough to cause problems, but I'll see what the dealer has to say about it. And just to be safe I think I'll make a practice of changing my own oil rather than having the dealer do it. Kenneth Almquist

Reply to
Kenneth Almquist

Well, that's probably not a good idea given the frequent occurences of missed dealer preps. 40PSI is pushing it, but you (personally) may find

36/34 or so very comfortable, with good safety, mileage, and wear. Everyone has their own comfort settings. I would not recommend anything below 30 PSI, though (very comfortable, but decreased safety, mileage, and tire lifespan).

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

Good for you. I really thought you were more of a 28/26PSI kind of guy.

Happy driving,

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

Looks like a lot of us have had the same problem. My Forester came with tires at 45 psi. I had checked all fluids before taking a long trip but missed this. When I posted same inquiry a few weeks back, I concluded from answers that dealer was just sloppy on prep. Tires are shipped over pressure just in case they lose some there is less chance of needing re-inflation. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

........................ Tires are shipped over

I was told the reason for high pressure was to help prevent the flat spot from developing when the cars are sitting for long periods of time, some of it tied down.

Reply to
null_pointer