How to Wash Engine?

I need to wash my engine. My plan was to take it to one of those coin-op places and use the power sprayer, carefully avaioding the spk plug wires and battery. Is there anything else I need to cover or anything lie that. Should I use one of those nasty chemical things (Gunk?) form an parts store too (would rather not)?

Thanks!

Reply to
ploutos

coin op is just fine. did it to my 04 obw a week ago no problems

Reply to
jabario

Just did this...I used the tire cleaner setting, which threw down some icky green stuff at low pressure. Then I rinsed with plain water, but held the sprayer back a few feet to reduce the pressure, I think. This worked really well, except I missed some nooks and crannies.

-John O

Reply to
John O

If you don't drown the coil you can't go too far wrong. Only other problem I ever had was drowning the suspension electrics for a 91 with air springs. Went a bit strange for a while. Oops!

Reply to
hippo

I wouldn't worry too much, just don't get the tip of the wand in real close to the distributor, alternator, or wiring harness connectors, as the high pressure can force water past the O-ring seals. Probably not a bad idea to come equipped with tools to pull and dry the dist. cap just in case (screwdriver and paper towels). Use Gunk if there is significant grease and oil present. If you have access to a steam-cleaner, by all means use that; it will get your engine compartment spotlessly clean. I make it a point to spritz the engine compartment whenever I take my car thru the wash. If this is done regularly, the engine will never get dirty enough to need Gunk. Another advantage of a clean engine is that you will spot any leaks immediately. Plus opening the hood to a clean engine makes me smile ;-)

ByeBye! S.