Interior Dash & Radio Lights Flash and Car Won't Start or Turn Over

Threaded View
With no obvious previous symptoms my 1998 Legacy Outback Limited suddenly
wouldn't start tonight. The instrument panel lights and the radio flash on
and off about a dozen times or so, then stop momentarily, then flash again
(over and over). This happens constantly - with or without the key in the
ingnition. The red security light to the left of the steering column
constantly flashes.  When I try to start the car, I get nothing - the
engine doesn't turn over; and I don't here a rapid clicking sound from the
starter. The battery is not dead and doesn't appear to be low, plus I
tried to jump the car with cables but didn't get any response from the
engine. The flashing red security light makes me wonder if the security
system has some how been triggered and this has disabled the ignition
system. As far as I know there is no after-market or third-party security
system installed on the car.

Has anyone experienced similar troubles? Any ideas?

Re: Interior Dash & Radio Lights Flash and Car Won't Start or Turn O
Fortunately I was able to resolve this problem. After an extensive internet
search I came across another post elsewhere in which someone described a
similar problem with the flashing interior dash and radio lights (though
that person didn't mention that the car also wouldn't start). Anyways, the
solution was to push and hold the reset button while trying to start the
car. The reset button is located under the left side of the dash behind
the hood release lever. It is a small unmarked black button set in a black
sheath with a diameter similar to that of a dime. I was pressing this
button while sitting in the car with the door shut and the car started.

I still don't know what caused the alarm to trigger. I know the car has
the remote key entry system, but I do not have the transmitter. I wonder
if some sort of interference from another car's remote key system
triggered mine.

Site Timeline