My new squeaky brakes...

After 160,000km, it was time to change the front disks as well as the pads. Up until that point the brakes had always been quiet. Now they squeal like hell!! Does it take a few 1000km for them to settle in?

No lack of stopping power, and it only happens a low speed/light braking (e.g coming up to a light or stop sign), but it is LOUD!.

(Obfunny: as I squealed up to a stop sign the other day, a guy getting into his 1st generation legacy yelled "Mine does that too!!", heehee.

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Don't count on it. I used to own a taurus that was prone to brake squeal and it never went away without work.

Did you do the work yourself? If so, did you put all the little clips back on in the right place and did you slather them with the anti-squeek goop? If not, that's your problem.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The pads are vibrating. When this happens to me I use a little grease on the BACKS of the pads and that usually quiets them right down. They do make special sprays and stuff for this. Just make sure you don't contaminate the front side of the pad.

Reply to
Sheldon

Some pads are much worse at this, I like the full metal pads or ceramic. TG

Reply to
TG

Some bands squeak more than others. A lot of well know brands in Australia started squeaking since they are no longer allowed to use asbestos in them.

Reply to
Subie25L