front brakes seem weak after driveshaft change

I have just fitted replacement driveshafts to my 205 diesel and on first test drive notice that the braking seems to be somewhat weaker than before, flooring the pedal at 30mph only locks up the back wheels. I thought perhaps that the front discs had some grease on them from when I was fitting the driveshafts so I removed the wheels and used some ipa to clean them up as best I could. On the next test drive the brakes seemed a bit better on the first couple of applications but seem again to have gone back to being weak.

I wondered somewhat optimistically if braking driving along with my foot on the brake and the accelerator would heat up the discs enough to burn off any grease. After trying it a couple of times I'm starting to think it was a bit of a stupid idea!

Should I just keep cleaning until things improve or is there something else that might be causing the problem (I have already checked for leaks etc and found nothing).

Thanks Phil

Reply to
Philip Koritsas

If you have got grease on the pads, then they are essentially useless - pad material is very readily contaminated, and under heating during braking the grease melts and is absorbed by the pads even more readily, so driving with the brakes on won't work either.

In my 205 TD, I can't actually floor the brake pedal, and if you can I would normally suspect that they needed bleeding, although I can't imagine why changing the driveshafts would result in that (I'm assuming you didn't actually disconnect the calipers). I reckon your best bet is to try some new pads - thay aren't very expensive after all.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Did you put the pads back where they came from? If you muddle them up they don't work very well.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

i think you should have your brakes looked at, and by someone who can identify a problem if there is one, as mentioned here you may have the pads in the wrong way round, however thats unlikely as its difficuly to get them in if they arnt correctly fitted, also mentioned is the possibility that you have removed the caliper and not bled it correctly, if either of these is a possibility then have a trained technician sort it out, you dont want to take chances with your braking system. no appologies for being abrupt or to the point, if your brakes don't work properly and you can't work out why then driving it on the road in that condition is putting lives at risk. steve.

Reply to
steve

Thanks for the advice, the calipers and/or brake pads have not been removed and replaced. A minor improvement was acheived after repeated cleaning with IPA but I think as has been suggested the pads have become contaminated with oil. I'm going to remove the pads, clean up the discs and fit new pads. If that doesn't help I'll get them looked at.

Philip K

Reply to
Philip Koritsas