Time for front brakes

Since I stopped commuting daily and am using my Miata for quick trips around town, after the last 15K miles, the brake pad on the left (passenger side) began to squeal and it is now time for new front pads after nearly four years and 25k miles. My problem is the mechanic also wants to turn the rotors, and the front brake job will be ~$250. He is quite adamant that it is proper to turn rotors with each brake job, and I have heard that myself but...

He seems to have very high standards and normally we crawl across deserts to find such mechanics but it seems so...soon for turning.

Thoughts?

Reply to
theresa

I am sure you are not going to do the brakes your self, but when I do mine it only costs $4 or $5 a rotor to turn. The cost to do the job right is not much more than cheaping out is what I'm getting at. I would be more concerned about why the originals wore out after so few miles, like a sticking caliper slider. A do it yourself front brake job is well under $50, but I wouldn't recommend this route unless you or a very good friend know exactly what your doing.

Either shop around for a better deal or pay the price, but turn the rotors unless all 4 surfaces are perfect and you are very strapped for cash.

Reply to
Mike

You should also qualify that by telling the OP exactly how ridiculously easy it is to replace disc brake pads and rotors (and calipers, for that matter). Too many people are put off by the guys at Midas or some place scaring them into believing that replacing brakes requires an engineering degree.

Man, or you could pay the $17 or so I paid for each of my new rotors last time I did them.

Reply to
tooloud

You should be able to get a brake job for less than $100. It will take the shop less than one hour to remove the pads, clean the calipers, turn the rotors, bleed the lines, and add brake fluid. Turning the rotors may not be necessary with only 25k on them.

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

You'll be happier with the results - the brakes will work better - if you surface the rotors with each brake job, but you can get away without it if the rotors aren't scored badly.

I dunno what it costs now, and it's a 15 mile drive each, but my local Pep Boys would turn rotors for $6/ea last year. Call around town; I was quoted everything from $6 at Pep Boys to $25/ea somwhere else. $12 to turn the rotors, and $40 for the pads, and two hours of labor, that doesn't sound like $250 most anywhere in the US....

has Brembo street rotors for $70/ea new, and OEM pads for $27/set; that's $190 with shipping. If you do your own brakes, you can have new rotors and pads for under $200 and under 2 hours.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

The only problem that turning the rotors can cause happens when the rotors are turned off the car. They can turn them out of true. The Miata is more sensitve to this than most. I had problems after a brake job by a reputable shop, measured the runout, grabbed my manual, and back I went. It is necessary to at least "dress" the rotors if you want the new pads to seat correctly. In a pinch, I've done this by hand with a good flat stone. Some mechanics also take the pads and rub them on the rotor while it's turning to break a "glaze" on the surface of some new pads.

The biggest thing to worry about on a Miata is related to the emergency brake, adjusters and the rear brakes. An inexperienced (on Miatas) mechanic can easily screw things up badly. There is an article or two in the garage about brakes that you should read. $250 for front brakes only is a big ripoff.

Reply to
chuckk