Re: Forester: Avid Touring versus Geolandar?

> We just bought an '03 Forester XS+ with the stock Geolandar G900 tires, and > in looking around the Web (chiefly TireRack) I got the impression that the > Yokohama Avid All-season Touring tires are better and even cheaper. > > Here in northern Virginia we don't get much snow (though it seems our > street is always the LAST to be plowed) and our Forester will never be used > off-road. I got the impression the Geolandar "pretends" to a little off- > road capability perhaps at the expense of ride comfort and noise. Reviews > of the Avid series hint that it lasts longer, has a better ride, and is at > least as good in snow as the Geolandar. > > Considering my Geolandars will be replaced eventually, I wonder if anyone > in this group can comment on the Avids versus the Geolandars? > > -- > Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com > Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

Can't comment directly on the Yokohamas vs. Geolanders, but you might also take a good look at the Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE's - almost identical to the Yoke Avid Touring in tread design, ratings (both are

620/A/B), and price - in fact, as I found when I was on the fence between the Yokes and the Coopers, the Yokes are not as readily available thru local shops, and, though Tire Rack's prices appear to be really good, by the time you add shipping and paying $12+ per tire to a local shop to install them, the Coopers will likely end up being a bit cheaper.

In addition, by buying the tires thru a local shop, I got free lifetime balancing and rotation which I wouldn't get by purchasing at TR and having them installed by a third party. Purchasing the tires at the same place you get your installation, alignments, balancing, and rotations done will also eliminate (or at least *greatly* reduce the chances of) a finger-pointing game between seller, installer, alignment shop, and manufacturer if problems should develop.

I put the Coopers on my full-size Chrysler vehicle several months ago, and am *very* happy with them. They appear to be living up to the tread life rating, and, after just finishing a week-long vacation in West Virginia, I can say that they perform splendidly (*extremely* quiet and good at hydro-planing resistance too).

Bill Putney

Never had the Geolanders, but had the Avids in snow in my GTI. Never again! I've got them on the OB now for summer tires. They're great in the dry/wet, not in the snow.

ct

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I'm also looking for tires for my '01 Forester L.

Actually, I believe that Yokohama

recommends the Avid T4 for the Forester, rather than the Avid Touring. At my local Merchant's Tire dealer the T4 is a bit cheaper than the Touring. However, I've never heard any comments about the T4 in this newsgroup. Most people here recommend the Avid Touring, but then I occassionally read a serious negative comment about them as well, so I'm still confused as to which tires to get.

Has anyone here had any experience with the T4's on a Forester?

Thanks!

Bert

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to