Forester Tire Question - Yoko Avid Touring

About 15,000 miles ago, I replaced the original tires on my 2001 Forester with Yokohama Avid Tourings. I've been pleased with their ride, particularly on wet roads. But lately I've noticed a distinct humming sound from the tires that I don't think was there before. A frequent passenger of mine also noticed it on his own. It almost sounds that the tire pressure is too low, but I don't think that's the case. The tires have been rotated every 5000 miles and I checked the pressure. It's up to the recommended pressure indicated on the plate on the driver's door of the Forester - 29 lbs.

Do the recommended pressures indicated on that plate pertain only to the original tires? If so, how do I find out the recommended pressure for the Yohohamas?

Any thoughts on that humming sound from Avid Touring owners?

Thanks!

Reply to
BRH

I also have used Yokohama touring tires on my forester. Yes, mine did hum somewhat when the tread was about 1/2 gone but got use to it as the other qualities were so good. I do run my tires somewhat higher than you as I find

32-34 front and 30-32 rear work best for me. I now have Michelin Xones and they are about 1/2 gone and wow the noise is far loader that the Yokohama but, still livable. ed
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Edward,

Thanks for the reply. I see that you inflate your tires somewhat higher than I do. I'm just following the recommended tire pressures listed on the plate inside the driver's door. Do those pressures pertain to any model tire being used on the car? Or just to the originals?

Would you recommend that I inflate them a bit higher? I assume that would result in extended tire life, better gas mileage and less noise, right? I just want to make sure that I don't over-inflate them.

Thanks!

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
BRH

The tire pressure recommended on the drivers door are for all brands of the original size. I found that I'm willing to give up some small amount of ride comfort in exchange for slightly better cornering performance. My city requires me to navigate many corners and I found the tread edges were wearing faster than the tires' center. 2-3 pounds higher pressure is not over inflating as the maximum pressure on the side of my tires is 44 pounds per square inch. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

We had a discussion on this a year or so back, and IIRC, the general practice was to go a bit higher than the door sticker. I generally start mine at whatever the "full load" pressure is, and adjust upward from there if I'm getting too much edge wear. This can run from 2-5 psi over the door sticker numbers. As for overinflation--as long as your COLD pressure does not exceed the Max listed on the sidewall (generally from

35 to 44 psi for US market tires), you're not overinflated.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright