Forester versus Outback?

I was very new to Subarus last month when I got my wife a Forester XS- Premium 5-speed. Having done more research now, I wonder what are the important differences between the Forester and the Outback, since both are based on the Impreza. I see the Outback is longer, but that's about it. The Forester seems to cost more than the Outback, CR-V or RAV4. Is the Outback more off-roadable, rugged, or what?

Reply to
Charles Gillen

Could you please explain what these two angles are?

Thanks!

Reply to
Charles "Stretch" Ledford

"Charles "Stretch" Ledford" wrote

Approach angle is the angle of a hill the vehicle can climb from level ground without the bumper hitting the ground. Departure is the angle of a hill you can go down without the rear hitting the ground when you get to level ground.

Basically, to find these you can stick a board or metre-stick or something under the wheel and see how high you can raise it before it hits the bumper or some other part of the car. The angle between the board and the ground is you approach/departure angle.

Reply to
Brian

The CRV is nice but 'busier' and smaller than my new OBW. I also didn't like the swing out gate on it. Hinges on the 'wrong' side for me. Personal opinion. Didn't drive a Forester - though the new Turbo sounds tasty!

The Hyundai santa Fe was the only other contender for my money after driving/considering 8-10 vehicles. The nicest vehicles we drove were Toyota Highlander and Honda Odyssey - both just outside our budget. Worst vehicle we drove - Kia Sorento.

So far - no regrets on the OBW. I think the OBW has more interior cargo volume and was available with a 6 cyl. engine which we opted for. It wasn't cheap but I feel it was worth a little more to me to have a Subaru instead of a Hyundai - actually now I think of it - the seats also were a little more roomy for my fat *** too!

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Charles Gillen wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I was on the beach with my Forester last week on the Outer Banks of NC ( Cape Hatteras). Didn't see one Outback but did see many a Forester. I drive the Beltways here in MD. I see more Outbacks then Foresters........Do the math..........In my ever so humble opinion, the Outback has a better marketing campaign that positions it as a rugged 4x4 where I think the Forester is more of a pragmatist's vehicle. In other words, you aren't gonna be winning a Baja Road Rally but it's NOT gonna get stuck like any other station wagon trying to go through the snow to pick up the kids!

KDW

Reply to
ddd

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I have a '97 OBW with 96K miles and am thinking of replacing it. However, I dislike the design of the rear of the current OBW so much that I am considering a Forester for that reason, plus the easier in/out that you mention.

-- Vic Roberts

Reply to
Victor Roberts

I agree with the other Forester owners about the good points. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised with its ability in snow, which I got to try out well here in NJ. Having come from an '85 LandCruiser, the Subie had big 'tires' to fill in that regard, and passed with flying colors. Chas

Reply to
Dj Blag

The only complaints we have about our Forrester is the crappy rear legroom (a kid in the back seat has their knees in your back) and poor construction on the accessories (cupholder, etc.). Drives like a dream, is one of the best cars every in the snow, great gas mileage, the world's largest sunroof and I have yet to find a blind spot. If you can, get the five-speed (we have an auto, but I bet the five speed is a blast to drive).

A friend has an Outback---much better accessory construction and more room in the back seat. However, you pay for it---outbacks are not cheap.

Reply to
BKS

I haven't owned a Forester, but have driven one both on and off road (a friend in Colo. has one). I'm now on my second OBW (2001 and 2003, just got it last night!). The Outback is not an SUV in any sense of the word. It's a nice mid-size wagon with above-average ground clearance and AWD. I don't really see the Forester as an SUV, either, but it does a bit better than the OBW. My friend has had his Forester on some surprisingly difficult trails and it made it fine. Our OBW did great this year in the deep snow we got in NE USA. My other car is a

1991 Isuzu Trooper, and apart from a bit more clearance (on the Trooper) they both did great in the snow.

Reply to
Brian Wasson