Screeching

I have 96 Legacy. I have renewed drive belts. I get 2 second screech when starting from cold if either the heater blower or aircon is switched on. Now I also get it when braking to stop sign. I can't see connections here ? Gil

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

Hi, before picking your head too hard, check the belts tension. No more than about 1/4 inch of deflection midway between the pulleys. The tensionning method is intuitive. You give some slack to a lock bolt (horizontal) and turn the long vertical one until you get the proper tension. Retighten the lock bolt. If no cure, than ask again. Maybe someone...

Reply to
Gilles Gour

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I would guess it's a loose alternator belt - they might not have tightened it properly, or it may have stretched a little as it broke in.

Reply to
David & Caroline

Sounds like good advice. Belts do stretch after installation and should be checked after a few weeks. Early in my driving career I ended up with a dead battery as a result of this, but fortunately I had tools with me and was on the downward side of a hill.

The heater blower and AC symptoms point to situations that would place an extra load on the alternator and hence on the belt and perhaps make it screech. Stop sign is a bit more of a puzzle. Something regarding inertia and temporary deformation of the belt??? Slight amount of play in the alternator???

David & Carol> I would guess it's a loose alternator belt - they might not have tightened

Reply to
BBB