whirring / scratchy / screeching from the belts

Hello, I bought a Hyundai Accent 2001 Coupe a couple of months ago. I notice this winter that when its cold or humid there is a whirring/scratchy/screeching noise that comes and goes away. This sound is coming from the belt side of car. At times, it doesn't sound the same as a screeching belt. The belts are not loose and they do not appear to be wore down. The car has 55,000 miles and, I am the second owner, the timing belt was never changed. I am planning to change it at

60,000 miles. Do you have any ideas what this sound might be? Is this a sign that the timing belt needs to be replaced?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Reply to
Cheo

Probably the belts. For the sake of peace of mind for the next 5000 miles, consider doing the timing belt, water pump, and other belts now.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The easiest way to tell if it's coming from the drive belts is to spray just a little WD-40 or similar substance on them. If the noise changes or stops, then you know it's coming from the belts. If the belts are not cracked or otherwise worn, don't sweat it. Then, when you replace the timing belt, replace the drive belts, too, since you will already have them off the car.

Reply to
hyundaitech