Slight steering wheel shake

2004 WRX STi: When I get to 80mph or so there's a slight shake in the steering wheel. Is this something I'd expect as being normal within the limits of wheel balancing, etc.?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Rotate the tires and see if it changes. You may have some tread seperation or something going on with the tires.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks, I'll try that. I think I'm due to rotate them soon anyway.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Carl 1 Lucky Texan writes: (snip)

Weird. I can't reproduce it now. I'll look into it if it happens again! Maybe it depends on the road surface or something, or maybe the winter tires don't like if it gets much above freezing?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Yes, roads are tricky, I75 in the vecinity of my city causes all sorts of weird shimmys otherwise not present in the car.

Wheel shimmy can be caused by many th> Carl 1 Lucky Texan writes:

Reply to
AS

yeah - if its specific to a road surface - could be tramlining;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

(snip)

Interesting, I didn't know that. Now I just have to find someone who has one. (-:

(snip)

"High performance tires with short sidewalls that develop lots of cornering power at lower slip angles will be more susceptible to tramlining" - hmmmm, I guess that helps explain why I've not noticed it in our less-exciting cars.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

And it doesn't 'have' to be high-performance tires. WA DOT finally repaved a chunk of I5 here that would 'tramline' about anything. It was almost impossible to make a safe and sedate lane change on that stretch of road, you had to intentionally jerk the wheel to get out of the ruts.

Reply to
nobody >